Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Open Post #1

Open Post #1

     I am just going to go with the suggested ideas with this open post. I no longer write poetry, but I used to when I was younger. I actually had one published when I was in middle school, but I'm not sure how legitimate that was. Now, I guess I just lack the muse and over emotions that I used to possess. Typically I was Taylor Swift status in when, why, and what I wrote poetry about, but not in skill level or ability to match it to music. Now that every little action around me doesn't stir up a sea of emotions, I never get the urge to let out the emotions in a poetic form.
     I do love creative writing, though. That was my favorite class in college and what lead to my major change from Math Education to English Education (quite the stretch, right?). In high school and maybe even late middle school, I'm not too sure, I used to write stories, but I was never overly creative. All of my main characters were basically myself. I guess I was self absorbed and couldn't see a view outside of my own. Now, when I write, I take on very different characters than myself as the main character, trying to see a world outside of my own from a mind set I myself do not possess. My favorite short story I ever wrote was from the view point of a male Marine during deployment, clearly something I know nothing about first hand. I did this in creative writing class as a way to try to see the world as my husband did at the time. My teacher submitted this to a journal for college writing assignments and was selected and publish. This was actually a legitimate source, though.
     I would love to one day write a novel or series of novels, but for now short stories and papers for school with have to suffice. I have attempted to start a few books but always get stuck and never start again. I believe this may be due to the fact that at 24 years old, I lack the life experiences to truly be a writer. Just as my writing has improved with age, not just in writing style that comes with my progression through education of the written word, but also in ideas through experiences. Maybe once I have seen more of the world and experienced more exciting things, or at least watch them second hand, I will be able to complete a book or novel. Before I die, that is my goal, even if I only accomplish this at age eighty.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your writing secrets! It sounds like you are on your way to become a publish author of a novel. I would love to read your short story and I love your story of how you evolved as a writer. That would be great to share with students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I had a poem published in high school! I am also not sure how legitimate it was. After all, my poem was on the first page of the book haha. I sadly do not write poetry anymore. I hate to say life and school took priority, but sadly that is the case with me. I think you should definitely write a novel! You have great writing skills from what I can see, so go for it!

    ReplyDelete